Apr 13, 2021  
2018-2019 Catalog 
2018-2019 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

College Policies and Procedures

Academic Standards Sexual Harrassment
Advertising on Exterior Campus Bulletin Boards Smoking
Advising Student E-mail
Consumer Information & Student Right to Know Student Records
Cultural Diversity Students’ Rights & Responsibilities/Student Conduct Code
Debts to the College Students’ Rights Regarding Their Educational Records
Drug & Alcohol Abuse Program Students’ Social Security Numbers
Equal Employment Opportunity/Non-discrimination Statement  


Additional information about Highline’s policies, procedures and statistics can be found online.

Academic Standards

The purpose of the Academic Standards Policy is to assist students in the successful progression of completing credit-bearing, graded classes that lead to the completion of the student’s program of study and educational goals.  Satisfactory Academic Standing is defined as maintaining a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above.   The Academic Standards Policy provides for the following statuses and college actions.

Early Notification and Academic Alert

Early Notification is provided to students who are maintaining a 2.0 cumulative GPA, but whose quarterly GPA is below a 2.0.   Students are placed on Academic Alert if their cumulative GPA is below a 2.0 but their quarterly GPA is 2.0 or above.  In either case, affected students are notified to emphasize the importance of academic standards and the availability of campus support services.

Academic Probation

Students are on Academic Probation if both their cumulative and quarterly GPAs are below a 2.0. Students on probation are notified, and a hold is placed on their future registration.  The holds will be lifted after either meeting with an academic advisor or attending a specified offering to develop an acceptable academic success plan.

Academic Suspension

Students are placed on Academic Suspension if their cumulative and quarterly GPAs are below 2.0 for two or more consecutive quarters.  Students on suspension are notified, with appeal options.  A hold is placed on their future registration.

To return from Suspension status, students should contact the Office of the Vice President for Student Services for enrollment requirements.

Advertising on Exterior Campus Bulletin Boards

The Center for Leadership and Service maintains exterior campus bulletin boards for on- and off-campus events and activities. Anyone wishing to post materials should go to the Center for Leadership and Service for approval and posting procedures. 


Advising is a teaching and learning process in which students, through a relationship with an advisor, are empowered to identify their life goals, understand the college, its curriculum, degree options, and resources and services, and use that knowledge to develop and refine short and long-term course-taking plans to reach their goals. Academic advising is a shared responsibility between student and advisor that includes certain learning outcomes as well as expectations of both student and advisor.

Advisors are disbursed widely across the college in order to meet the unique needs of our diverse student population. General advising is provided by both professional staff and faculty advisors. General advisors in the Advising Center are available on an appointment and drop-in basis. Professional advisors also provide group advising for current students and orientation sessions for new students.  

Specialized advising is offered for the following programs and purposes: Athletics, Running Start, International Student Programs, TRIO Student Support Services, Assessment and Placement, Workforce Education Services, MESA (Math, Engineering Science Achievement) Program, English as a Second Language, Transfer, Veterans and WorkFirst/Womens Programs.

The Transfer Center on the lower level of Building 6 is open to students to explore transfer opportunities, attend workshops and receive help in preparing to transfer. Transfer fairs are held on a quarterly basis.

Students may request to be assigned a faculty advisor based on their academic program or intended transfer major by contacting the Advising Center om the lower-level of Building 6.

Consumer Information and Student Right to Know

Students and other interested persons can access information on completion and/or graduation rates; district security policies and crime statistics; athletic program participation rates and financial support data; completion and/or graduation rates for student-athletes; information regarding student records under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA); and the alcohol and drug policy by visiting Highline’s Website.

Paper copies of the above documents may be obtained from the executive assistant for Student Services in Building 6, room 218.

Highline College
MS 6-11, P.O. Box 98000
Des Moines, WA 98198-9800
(206) 592-3077

Cultural Diversity Policy

Highline College actively promotes and supports a learning and work environment which ensures social justice, mutual respect, understanding, civility, and non-violence. Highline College provides equal opportunity in education and employment and does not discriminate on the basis of biological sex, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, race, ethnic background, national origin, class, economic status, age, military and veteran status, disability, language, cultural and religious background.

Debts to the College

College debts include, but are not limited to, such items as outstanding tuition and fees, returned checks, library fines, financial aid repayments, late class add fees, Student Tuition Easy Payment Plan (STEPP) payments and fees, and parking tickets.

Students are responsible to pay all fines and other financial charges as soon as notification is received. Highline College may withhold registration, conferring academic credentials, transcripts and other college services when a payment has not been made on time.

Additionally, the college may pursue collection efforts on any outstanding debts as authorized by RCW 19.16.500. Highline College’s policy regarding withholding services for outstanding debts is described in WAC 32I-122.

Drug and Alcohol Abuse Program

This information is provided pursuant to the Drug-Free Schools and Committee Act Amendments of 1989 (Public Law 10 1.22b).

The unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession and/or use of a controlled substance as currently defined by law is prohibited in or on property owned, leased or otherwise managed by Highline College. The use of any controlled substance (illicit drugs or alcohol) is prohibited except when use or possession is prescribed by an authorized medical doctor or dentist.

The use of illicit drugs and alcohol presents a clear and present risk to the health of a student or employee and may cause impairment of the health of fellow students and employees.

“The disease of alcoholism knows no boundaries as far as personalities are concerned. It does not recognize rank, social class, wealth or fame. It strikes everyone with the same insidious force, and consequences are the same.” (Joseph Pursch, M.D.) The same statement applies to the use of illicit drugs. Addiction to alcohol or drugs may be lethal.

Sanctions against a student found to be in violation of the above restrictions may be imposed, subject to the student’s right of appeal. Sanctions may involve a warning, disciplinary probation, emergency withdrawal, suspension or dismissal. The college is responsible for referring the violation to the appropriate law enforcement agency.

No employee or contractor will report to work while under the influence of illicit drugs and/or alcohol. Violation of this rule by any employee may result in referral for mandatory evaluation/treatment for a substance abuse disorder. The Washington state Employee Assistance Program (EAP) or a college contracted referral agency will be utilized in accordance with the applicable negotiated agreements; the laws of the state of Washington, specifically RCW 28B.16 and RCW 28B.10; and applicable federal laws that supersede Washington state statutes.

Students are asked to refer to the Student Conduct Code codified at this printing in WAC 132I-125.

Assistance for students is available by appointment through the Counseling Center, located in Building 6. Self-referral can also be made to agencies such as the following:

  • Alcohol/Drug 24-Hour Help Line, (206) 722-3700 or 800-562-1240;
  • Navos, (206) 241-0990;
  • King County Crisis Clinic Information Line, (206) 461-3200.

Equal Employment Opportunity/Non-discrimination Statement

The college provides equal opportunity in education and employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, creed, religion, or status as a veteran of war. Prohibited sex discrimination includes sexual harassment (unwelcome sexual conduct of various types).

El colegio universitario ofrece igualdad de oportunidades en
educación y empleo, y no discrimina por raza, color, nacionalidad,
edad, discapacidad, sexo, orientación sexual, estado civil, creencias,
religión o estatus de veterano de guerra. La discriminación sexual está
prohibida e incluye el acoso sexual (varias formas de conducta sexual
no deseada).

Колледж предоставляет равные возможности при получении
образования и приеме на работу и обеспечивает отсутствие
дискриминации на основании расовой принадлежности, цвета
кожи, национальности, возраста, физических недостатков,
половой принадлежности, сексуальной ориентации, семейного
статуса, убеждений, вероисповедания или статуса ветерана
войны. Недопустимая дискриминация по половому признаку
подразумевает сексуальные домогательства (неприемлемое
сексуальное поведение во всех его проявлениях).

‏بيان: فرص للعمل بدون تمييز

‏توفر الكلية فرص متساوية للتعليم والعمل بدون تميز عنصري على ‏أساس ‏العِرق أو اللون ‏أو القومية أو العُمر أو الإعاقة الجسدية أو الجنس(ذكر/أنثى)‏ او الحالة الاجتماعية او الدين او الخدمة العسكرية. 

يُمنَع التحرش الجنسي بجميع أنواعه.


학교는 교육과 고용에 대한 평등한 기회를 제공하며
인종, 피부색, 출신 국가, 나이, 장애, 성별, 성 정체
성, 결혼 여부, 종교, 신념 및 재향 군인 자격에 대해
차별하지 않습니다. 금지된 성차별 행동 중에는 성
희롱이 포함됩니다 (부적절한 여러 종류의 성적 행
위 및 행동).

Highline College offre un accès équitable à l’éducation
et à l’emploi, et n’établit aucune distinction fondée sur la race, la
couleur, l’origine nationale, l’âge, l’incapacité, le sexe, l’orientation
sexuelle, la situation de famille, la croyance, la religion ou le statut
d’ancien combattant. La discrimination de genre faisant l’objet d’une
interdiction englobe le harcèlement sexuel (comportement sexuel
importun sous diverses formes).

Sexual Harassment

Sexual harassment is illegal under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act and Title IX of the Educational Amendment and is against Highline College’s policies and will not be tolerated in any form. It shall be the policy of Highline College, consistent with its efforts to respect the dignity and integrity of employees, students and the general public, to provide an environment free of sexual harassment.

Sexual harassment is any unwanted verbal or physical sexual attention that is repetitive and one-sided. Report sexual harassment to:

Director of Human Resources
MS 99-200, P.O. Box 98000
Des Moines, WA 98198-9800
(206) 592-3812


Highline College supports the health and well-being of its campus community members. For this reason, smoking is prohibited on campus, except in designated areas.

Student E-mail

Student e-mail accounts at Highline College are the primary method of official communication between students and the campus community.

Official communications are those involving

  • Instruction and classroom activities
  • Campus safety and emergencies
  • Routine College business

In general, e-mail is not appropriate for transmitting sensitive or confidential information unless it is matched by an appropriate level of security.

  1. Confidentiality regarding student records is protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). All use of e-mail, including use for sensitive or confidential information, will be consistent with FERPA.
  2. E-mail will not be the sole method for notification for any legal action.
  3. The full text of the policy is available here.

Student Records

Students are responsible for ensuring that the college has their correct name and address. Students needing to report a name change should visit the Registration office in Building 6 and submit a “Student Name Change” form with appropriate documentation - a driver’s license, passport etc. Students can update their address at https://secure.highline.edu/wts/student/stuaddr.

Students’ Rights and Responsibilities/Student Conduct Code

Highline College is committed to ensuring a welcoming, inclusive and safe learning environment for all students. The Student Conduct Code (SCC) is a contractual agreement between the enrolled student and the College, and it is important that students be informed and knowledgeable about behavioral expectations and responsibilities to ensure their academic success. A student’s admission into Highline constitutes acceptance to comply with the Student Conduct Code.  The process and procedures are not intended to be punitive, but rather to focus on students’ development and learning. Conduct administrators are dedicated to ensure respect, due process and fundamental fairness in the administration of the SCC.

Highline students have guaranteed rights within the limitations of statutory law and college policy as deemed necessary to achieve the educational goals of the college.  Know your rights!

For complete information on Student Rights and the Code of Conduct, visit https://studentservices.highline.edu/srr.php

Students’ Rights Regarding Educational Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, also known as the Buckley Amendment, is a federal law regarding the privacy and protection of student education records.  Education records are directly related to a student and maintained by the institution or party acting on behalf of the institution.  FERPA applies to all educational agencies or institutions who receive funds under any program administered by the Secretary of Education.

Students’ FERPA rights begin after admissions. This includes acceptance into programs such as Continuing Education, Adult Basic Education, and English as a Second Language.  When a student enters postsecondary education, the rights of the parents under FERPA transfer to the student. When a student reaches postsecondary education, parents no longer have inherent rights to access their child’s education records.

Directory information is information that is generally not considered to be harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. Educational institutions may release directory information without the students’ written consent; however, the institution is not obligated to do so.  If a student does not want directory information to be released, they can complete a Request to Have Directory Information Withheld Form with the Registration and Records Office.  Student record information related to health and/or campus safety may be released by the Registrar or designee, on a case by case basis.

Directory information includes:

·         Name

·         Address

·         Program of study

·         Participation in officially recognized activities or sports

·         Weight or height of members of athletic teams

·         Dates of attendance

·         Degrees and awards received

If a student would like to give a third party (parent, friend, employer, etc.) access to their education record, the student needs to provide their written consent. Please note, the released information will only include applicable Enrollment Services Information and must be completed on an annual basis.  Attendance records, faculty notes and financial aid records will not be released.

The following are rights given to students under FERPA:

Inspect and review their educational records

The right to inspect and review information contained in education records within 45 days of the day the college receives the request for access. Students are required to submit a written request to the Registration and Records Office, which identifies what record(s) they wish to inspect.

Request the amendment of the student’s educational record

The right to request an amendment to the education records to ensure they are not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy or other rights. The process for submitting such a request is to complete an Instructional Grievance or a Petition for Policy Exception. The processes are available on the college’s website. The student must identify the change that needs to be made and why the record is inaccurate or misleading. If the Registrar decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the student will be notified via the student’s Highline College email account.  Students have the right to request a hearing.

Consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information

Consent to disclosure, with certain exceptions, of personally identifiable information from education records. If a student would like to give a third party (parent, friend, employer, etc.) access to their education record, the student needs to provide their written consent.  One option is to complete a Release to Exchange Information Form in the presence of an Enrollment Services staff member with valid photo ID or if in person is not possible, a completed Release to Exchange Information Form with a copy of signed photo ID can be emailed to registration@highline.edu.   Attendance records, faculty notes, and financial aid records will not be released.

 Personally identifiable information relating to a student’s education record will not be released without the student’s written consent, unless it falls under one of the exceptions. School officials with a legitimate educational interest, “need to know” in order to perform their job duties, may access education records without students’ written consent. Upon request, the Registrar may disclose education records without student consent to officials of another school in which a student is concurrently enrolled, or seeks or intends to enroll. In addition, the college provides to military recruiters the following additional directory information: date of birth, if available place of birth, and level of education.

A school official is a person employed or contracted by the college in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including campus security officers). Additionally, it may include a person, company, or agency with whom the college has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, collection agent, public service agency, education agency, or school); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; a Highline College Foundation employee; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing tasks. Volunteers and interns serving in any of these capacities are also considered school officials. However, in order for a school official to be eligible to access certain education records, the school official must have a legitimate educational interest. In other words, the school official must “need to know” the information they are seeking in order to perform job duties.

File a Complaint

File complaints with the Department of Education concerning alleged failures by institutions to comply with FERPA. Complaints should be sent to the office who monitors FERPA, The Family Policy Compliance Office.  Written complaints should be directed to:

U.S. Department of Education

Family Policy Compliance Office

400 Maryland Avenue, SW

Washington, DC 20202

File complaint online:


Phone: 202-260-3887

Fax: 202-260-9001

Email: FERPA.Complaints@ed.gov

Students’ Social Security Numbers

To comply with federal laws and assure students may take advantage of education tax credits, Highline College must request your Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). This information is used to report information for potential educational tax credits, to administer state/federal financial aid, to verify enrollment, degree and academic transcript records, and to conduct institutional research. If you do not submit your SSN/ITIN, you will not be denied access to the college; however, you may be subject to IRS civil penalties (refer to Internal Revenue Service Treasury Regulation 1.6050S-1(e)(4) for more information). Pursuant to state law (RCW 28B.10.042) and federal law (FERPA), the college will protect your SSN from unauthorized use and/or disclosure.