Feb 23, 2020
ABE 034 - Introduction to Theatre 5 Credits
Introduction to the theater with an emphasis on the collaborative components of live dramatic performance: playwriting, directing, design, acting and audience. Course includes required play attendance.
Instructor Permission Required Yes
Course Note Includes performance attendance.
Designed to Serve High school completion students who need to fulfill one credit of fine arts for their diploma. Students interested in drama, live performance & communication.
Active Date 2015-12-04
Grading System Decimal Grade
Class Limit 38
Contact Hours: Lecture 55 Lab 0 Worksite 0 Clinical 0 Other 0
Total Contact Hours 55
1. Foundations/Discussing Art
2. How Drama compares to other mediums of performance (Film, Television, Dance, etc.)
3. Functions of the Audience & Critics
4. Functions of the Director
5. Functions of the Actor
6. Functions of the Playwright
7. Dramatic Structure and Character
8. Functions of the Designer
9. Musical Theatre History & Current Trends
Student Learning Outcomes
Demonstrate knowledge of the key components of dramatic performance and how they differ from other performance experiences.
Demonstrate knowledge of the unique contributions of the collaborative artists that create drama.
Analyze and assess live dramatic performance based on group expectations as well as personal aesthetics.
Explore the history and current trends of theatre within diverse cultures.
Add to Portfolio