Nov 17, 2019
CIS 235 - Computer Forensics I 5 Credits
Builds on CIS 155. Covers evidentiary procedures more fully and addresses the ramifications to digital evidence/computer forensics in a rapidly changing technology. Addresses enterprise systems, databases, distributed system data recovery and investigations. Covers PDAs, RAID devices and Linux tools. Prepares students to perform computer forensics investigations in large corporate environments, government environments and the medical field while developing an understanding of the challenges awaiting them, including intrusion scenarios.
Pre-requisite(s) CIS 155 min 2.0
Designed to Serve Students enrolled in the Data Recovery/Computer Forensics program. Industry professionals with hardware experience needing hardware and digital recovery and computer forensics investigation skills.
Active Date 2012-06-21
Grading System Decimal Grade
Class Limit 24
Contact Hours: Lecture 55 Lab 0 Worksite 0 Clinical 0 Other 0
Total Contact Hours 55
1. Understand the Windows and Linux operating system structures as they apply to computer forensic importance.
2. Understand file headers
3. Utilize basic Linux commands to recover or identify forensic data
4. Identify corporate network resources that can be brought to bear for computer investigationsâ��
5. Utilize forensics tools such as X-ways and Winhex
6. Have an introductory overview of electronic discovery tools and methods
7. Conduct in-depth data carving and Registry reviews of forensic evidence
8. Document Forensic processes and procedures used in the forensic investigation.
Student Learning Outcomes
Discuss the issues of digital evidence in an environment of changing technology.
Conduct in-depth data carving and Registry reviews of forensic evidence
Effectively use the command line to navigate the Linux operating system.
Analyze forensic data using Wireshark, X-Ways or similar software
Utilize electronic discovery tools and methods
Utilize and verify open source forensic tools
Document processes and procedures used in the various steps of the forensic investigation and evidence examinations
Understand and demonstrate effective forensic report writing
[Add to Portfolio]