Jul 23, 2019
ABE 040 - ABE College Preparation Reading I 5 Credits
Emphasis on reading for comprehension and vocabulary development. Topics include vocabulary, information literacy, and literal, inferential and critical level comprehension. Fulfills one credit of English towards a high school diploma.
Instructor Permission Required Yes
Designed to Serve High school completion students who need to improve their reading and who test between 44-60 on the COMPASS Reading Test or 150-209 on the ESL COMPASS Reading Test.
Active Date 2014-09-03
Grading System Decimal Grade
Class Limit 25
Contact Hours: Lecture 55 Lab 0 Worksite 0 Clinical 0 Other 0
Total Contact Hours 55
The course introduces students to the skills that will be used to analyze reading selections. Comprehension, vocabulary, study and information literacy strategies will be applied to a various assignments throughout the course.
Student Learning Outcomes
1. Determine the meaning of unfamiliar words by using contextual information, affixes and etymology, and the dictionary and thesaurus.
2. Apply literal and inferential comprehension skills on a variety of materials written at 8th-12th grade reading levels.
3. Apply pre-reading strategies: previewing, skimming and questioning techniques.
4. Apply reading strategies: comprehension strategies, and isolating & organizing key information with highlighting and note-taking.
5. Apply post-reading strategies, including creation of study materials such as concept cards, Q & A, academic patterns charts, summary, outline, etc.
6. Apply appropriate reading rates depending on purpose and difficulty of material.
7. Interpret and draw conclusions from quantitative and graphical information.
8. Locate and use textual, visual, and electronic resources for research and or to solve problems and make informed decisions.
9. Develop awareness of individual strengths and weaknesses as learners.
[Add to Portfolio]