Dec 10, 2018
ABE 006 - ESL & ABE/GED Pronunciation 15 Credits
This elective is designed for current students enrolled in ESL, ABE, or GED courses who want to improve success in their speaking interactions. Focused pronunciation practice will help students be understood more often and therefore, build confidence while using spoken English. Class content will involve listening as well as speaking to help train students’ ear for sound differences and patterns. Activities will work with consonant and vowel sounds, intonation, rhythm and stress. We will practice individual words as well as connected speech in dialogues and conversations.
Instructor Permission Required Yes
Designed to Serve Designed for current students enrolled in ESL, ABE, or GED courses who want to improve their speaking success with focus on pronunciation.
Active Date 20180611T14:26:21
Grading System Credit/Non-Credit
Variable Credit Yes Range 1-15
Class Limit 35
Contact Hours: Lecture 165
Total Contact Hours 165
- Build confidence with speaking English and improve ability to be understood by speaking partners
- Demonstrate ability to use speech basics (loudness, speed and phrasing), suprasegmentals (stress, rhythm and intonation) and consonant and vowel sounds in variety of exercises and activities
- Practice connected speech for improved fluency
- Recognize impact of speech phrasing and stress on meaning
- Develop routines for home practice and self-monitoring during speaking tasks
Student Learning Outcomes
Demonstrate the ability to speak clearly in front of class.
Demonstrate the ability to speak with a partner following topic prompts and be understood.
Demonstrate the ability to ask and answer questions with a partner and be understood.
[Add to Portfolio]