May 21, 2019
- Perform administrative tasks, including bookkeeping procedures and process insurance claims, clerical forms and operational forms (inventory or routine maintenance and quality control).
- Explain general office policies and establish and maintain patient records.
- Perform clinical tasks, including fundamental procedures (eg. sterilization techniques, quality control, dosage calculations and practice standard precautions), specimen collection, diagnostic testing and patient care.
- Communicate (written, verbal and nonverbal) effectively with diverse patients and staff about patient instructions, community resources and health maintenance and disease prevention.
- Apply medico-legal knowledge to identify and respond to issues of confidentiality.
- Perform and document within legal and ethical boundaries.
- Identify and model professional conduct and appearance in specific, multicultural workplace settings.
- Basic keyboarding knowledge recommended.
- Instructor permission.
- Some classes have entry requirements not listed here.
- This information does not substitute for meeting with a faculty adviser.
- Students must achieve a cumulative 2.0 GPA and achieve a 2.0 in each clinical course and pass required competencies to graduate with their associate degree.
- AAS degree programs emphasize preparation in specific job skills required for entry-level employment.
- Not all classes are offered every quarter or at night.
- Students attending only in the evening must remember it is likely to take more than two years to complete program.
- Program graduates are eligible to sit for the Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) certification exam. See program accrediation statement in the college catalogue catalog.highline.edu/content.php.
- Medical Assistant students: Agencies may require you to complete a criminal background check prior to being offered an internship or employment.
Professional-Technical Core Courses
Total Supporting Course Credits: 15
Related Instruction Courses
Total Related Instruction Credits: 15
Total Program Credits: 90