Aug 14, 2022
P E 189 - Introduction to Fitness and Nutrition1 Credits
Introduction to fitness and wellness, cardiorespiratory endurance, muscular strength and endurance, flexibility, basic nutrition, body composition and weight control.
Course Note This class is only available to students in the Healthcare Exploration for Youth (HEY) program.
Quarters Typically Offered
Designed to Serve Only students in the Healthcare Exploration for Youth (HEY) program.
Active Date 20170509T10:06:31
Grading Basis Decimal Grade
Class Limit 25
Contact Hours: Lecture 5.5 Lab 11 Field Studies 0 Clinical 0
Total Contact Hours 16.5
PE Activity Course Yes
- Introduction to Fitness and Wellness (Lecture)
- Ultimate Frisbee (Activity class)
- Cardiorespiratory Endurance/Fitness Center Visit (Lecture)
- Cross Campus Run/Calisthenics (Activity class)
- Muscular Strength and Endurance (Lecture)
- Weight Training Stations (Activity class)
- Flexibility/Stretching exercises (Lecture)
- Yoga/Tai Chi (Activity class)
- Basic Nutrition (Lecture)
- Tae Kwon Do (Activity class)
- Obesity and Weight Control (Lecture)
- Boot Camp/Body weight exercises (Activity class)
Student Learning Outcomes
Define the five components of fitness and identify the benefits associated with each.
Demonstrate safe and effective techniques for improving fitness levels in each of the components of fitness.
Identify the six main nutrients and recognize healthy dietary choices that will improve health and fitness.
Evaluate weight loss techniques and recognize their effectiveness for maintaining a health body composition.
Adhere to a regular physical activity pattern.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)