Mar 24, 2023
MATH 230 - Differential Equations 5 Credits
Analytic methods for solving first order and higher order ordinary differential equations (ODE), including series solutions, Laplace transforms, Euler’s method, modeling applications and systems of differential equations.
Pre-requisite(s) MATH& 152 min 2.0
Quarters Typically Offered
Designed to Serve Transfer students in mathematics, engineering, and the sciences
Active Date 20170113T16:28:22
Grading System Decimal Grade
Class Limit 32
Contact Hours: Lecture 55 Lab 0 Worksite 0 Clinical 0 Other 0
Total Contact Hours 55
- Quantitative Skills
ProfTech Related Instruction
PLA Eligible Yes
- Linear and non-linear first order Ordinary Differential Equations (ODEs).
- Euler’s Method.
- Applications of first order ODEs.
- Higher order linear ODEs.
- Applications of Higher Order ODEs.
- Power series methods.
- Laplace Transforms.
- Systems of differential equations.
- Note: Some basic facts about systems of linear equations, determinants,series, sequences, and linear algebra will be developed in the course.
Student Learning Outcomes
Classify differential equations and solve first and higher order ordinary differential equations (ODEs) using appropriate analytical methods.
Solve applications employing first and higher order ODEs.
Solve initial-value ODEs using Laplace Transforms and other techniques.
Use power series about ordinary points to solve ODEs.
Apply Euler's Method to approximate solutions to initial value problems.
Solve systems of linear first-order ODEs.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)