Jul 22, 2024  
2023-24 Catalog 
2023-24 Catalog

Registration and Records

Registration and Records creates and maintains accurate student records while helping students navigate the college’s policies and procedures.

The Registration and Records office processes student enrollment and withdrawal transactions and maintains student transcripts and records. Students may contact the Registration office when they have questions about transferring credits from other schools, to add or drop classes or to access other information related to enrollment at Highline by emailing https://registration.highline.edu/ or by calling (206) 592-3242.

Transferring into Highline

Highline honors academic credits earned at other regionally accredited institutions that are equivalent in the academic level of work offered at Highline. Highline subscribes to statewide Policy on Inter-College Transfer and Articulation among Washington Public Colleges and Universities agreed to by regionally accredited colleges and universities of Washington the State Board for Community and Technical Colleges and adopted by the Higher Education Coordinating Board in February 1986. The policy describes the rights and responsibilities of students and review and appeal process in transfer credit disputes.

Washington state community and technical colleges (CTCs) offer reciprocity to transfer degree-seeking students who move from college to college within the CTC system. Students who have fulfilled entire areas of their transfer degree requirements at one college - for example, Quantitative Skills, Communications or Distribution Area requirements - will be considered to have met those same requirements if they transfer to another community or technical college in Washington state. Students must initiate the review process and must be prepared to provide necessary documentation. For complete information, visit our website at https://registration.highline.edu/student-records/transcript-evaluations/ or contact  IncomingTranscripts@highline.edu.

New Students

Newly admitted students are eligible to enroll in classes starting on the first day of open registration. Students who have applied to Highline receive information regarding their next steps in their admissions letter. New students meet with Entry Advisors and attend mandatory orientation “Explore Highline” before enrolling in classes. 

Currently Enrolled and Returning Students

Currently enrolled students are assigned a specific time and date to enroll each quarter. Students may enroll at their appointed date and time or anytime thereafter.  Students who have previously attended Highline are assigned a specific date and time to enroll before new students.  The scheduled date and time is based on the number of credits the student has successfully completed at Highline. Students should plan to meet with their advisor prior to their registration time to make class selection and educational plans.

Students who have earned credits at another institution that they would like applied towards their certificate or degree requirements at Highline may request evaluation of transfer credits by sending official transcripts from other institutions and submitting a request for evaluation. Visit https://registration.highline.edu/student-records/transcript-evaluations/

Online Registration

Students are encouraged to enroll for classes online. Visit https://classes.highline.edu or https://gateway.ctclink.us/. See our ctcLink Tutorials for additional information.

Permission Number

Permission code is a five-digit random number that is needed to enroll for a class when permission or a prerequisite is required. Students will enter their request using the online Permission Number Request website.  The request will be sent to an instructor or department coordinator who will review and respond to the request. To request a permission number visit https://classinfo.highline.edu/ 

Photo Identification

Every student enrolled in credit classes can obtain a Highline Student Photo Identification card.  This card may be required for access to certain services on campus.  Visit the Registration and Records office in building 6 for issuance of a student ID card. Students will be charged for a replacement card.

Photo identification cards are issued by the Registration and Records office in Building 6.

Quarterly Class Schedule

A schedule of classes is available online before each academic quarter at https://classes.highline.edu/

Auditing a Class

Students may enroll for a course and choose an audit option if they meet the course prerequisites.  This option allows students to participate in courses to explore or review a subject and not receive a grade.  An audit does not calculate into the quarterly or cumulative GPA and is not included in the number of credits attempted or completed.  A grade of “N” will be reflected on the transcript.  Regular tuition and fees are charged.  Students interested in auditing a class must have instructor permission to approve the audit option. Requests must be submitted to the Registration and Records Office by the Friday of the first week of the quarter or the Thursday of the first week of summer quarter.  Requests after this date will not be accepted.  Students who choose to audit may participate in the course to the extent that they desire, and are encouraged to discuss their desired outcomes with the instructor early in the quarter.  Courses approved for audit may not be changed to credit classes. 

The audit option cannot be used in programs such as: Running Start, High School Completion, Adult Basic Education and English as a Second Language  and is not an eligible option for students who utilize Veterans Affairs (VA), Financial Aid, Workforce Education and Workfirst funding.

Class Schedule Changes

Once students have enrolled for classes, they may change their class schedules online. More information can be found online at https://registration.highline.edu/  For information on deadlines for adding classes and making schedule changes, visit our website

An added class is not official until the registration process is completed in ctcLink and all tuition and fees are paid.

Students with questions about changing their class schedule should consult with an advisor and/or funding source before making any changes. This is especially important for students receiving VA funding, financial aid, Workforce funding, or participating in Athletics or International Student Programs.

Late Enrollments

Enrollment after the 10th instructional day of the quarter (eighth day in summer quarter) is considered late. A nonrefundable late course add fee will be assessed for each late course registration. Exceptions to this policy include: Continuous enrollment and late-starting classes.

Wait List

If a class is full and the quarter has not yet started, students can add themselves to the waitlist in ctcLink. As seats in the class become available, those on the list will automatically be registered, in the order they appear on the list. If a student has not been added to the class by the time the quarter starts, this means there was no space available in the class.

When the quarter begins and the class is full, students will need instructor approval to enroll. Students are responsible for monitoring their waitlist status, making any adjustments as needed, and paying for courses that have been added. 

Student Initiated Withdrawal

Students may withdraw from a class any time prior to the end of the eighth week of the quarter. Summer quarter or other special session classes must be dropped earlier. Visit our website for published withdrawal deadlines.  Students who drop a class before the census date (10th day of the quarter, or 8th day during Summer) will not have a grade or enrollment in the course posted on their transcript.  After the published deadline, students who withdraw from a class will have a W recorded on the transcript.  A W for withdrawal will be posted on the transcript; no credit or numerical grade is associated with a W.

Note: Students receiving Veterans’ benefits must notify the Veterans Service Office of their withdrawal or any changes in enrollment.

Instructor-Initiated Withdrawal

Instructors, at their discretion, may initiate a withdrawal for students who do not attend at least 60 percent of class during the first five instructional days of the academic quarter (or equivalent for summer); however they are not obligated to do so. Students who are withdrawn during the first five days of the quarter will be eligible for a full refund of applicable tuition and fees.

Please note that it is the student’s responsibility to withdraw from classes.

Institution-Initiated Withdrawal

Highline may withdraw a student from a class in accordance with state policy if payment has not been made, if institutional academic standards are not met, the student has not met class prerequisites and/or whose conduct has resulted in a disciplinary suspension.