Sep 22, 2023
LEGAL 212 - Alternative Dispute Resolution5 Credits
Covers alternatives to civil litigation of disputes. Topics include arbitration, mediation, negotiation, as well as less common forms of alternative dispute resolution (ADR). Paralegal’s role in ADR, ethical considerations and practical application of ADR to disputes are also discussed. The philosophy behind alternatives to adversarial litigation is analyzed historically and in contemporary society.
Quarters Typically Offered
Designed to Serve Students in paralegal program, pre-law students.
Active Date 2011-07-25
Grading Basis Decimal Grade
Class Limit 32
Contact Hours: Lecture 55 Lab 0 Field Studies 0 Clinical 0 Independent Studies 0
Total Contact Hours 55
ProfTech Course Yes
Restricted Elective Yes
1. Nature of Disputes and Conflict and the Alternatives to Dispute Resolution
6. Historical and Contemporary analysis of alternatives to adversarial litigation and dispute resolution
Student Learning Outcomes
1. Understand the nature of conflict historically and in contemporary society.
2. Understand, recognize and apply the process of alternatives to dispute resolution.
3. Distinguish between the most common forms of dispute resolution and be able to apply each method in a legal context; negotiation, facilitation, mediation, arbitration.
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)